Barbiturate Detox Treatment
SAMHSA’s recommendations for detox
“For alcohol, sedative-hypnotic, and opioid withdrawal syndromes, hospitalization or some form of 24-hour medical care is generally the preferred setting for detoxification, based upon principles of safety and humanitarian concerns.”
– SAMHSA Detoxification and Substance Abuse Treatment Improvement Protocol, TIP 45
What Are Barbiturates?
Barbiturates (also known as barbs or downers) are a class of drug called sedative-hypnotics that depress the central nervous system. They are primarily used to treat sleep and anxiety disorders, but have also been used in mental health settings to treat psychosis or catatonia, to produce sedation pre-operatively, and to treat seizures.
Commonly used barbiturates include phenobarbital (Luminal), phenobarbital sodium (Nembutal), butalbital (Fionrinal and Fioricet), amobarbital (Amytal), and secobarbital (Seconal).
Like other sedatives, barbiturates slow down the nervous system, resulting in relaxation, increased drowsiness, relief from muscle spasms, and seizure prevention.
Due to their highly addictive nature, they are seldom prescribed today.
The side effects of barbiturate use include: impaired memory, dizziness, irritability, slurred speech, slowed reflexes, nausea, lack of inhibition, extreme drowsiness.
How do I know if I need barbiturate detox?
A detox program is used to treat individuals who are struggling with addiction and may meet the diagnostic criteria for substance use disorder — a serious medical condition affecting an estimated 20 million Americans (SAMHSA, 2017).
The effects of substance use disorders are wide-ranging and potentially fatal. Barbiturates are highly addictive and very difficult to withdraw from without professional medical detox.
There are many reasons why people don’t seek the help they need, including feelings of shame and fear about the process of detoxification. Many fear that detox will be uncomfortable, painful, and even fatal.
You will know if you need detox by seeking professional medical assistance from a qualified medical provider. Our admissions team would be happy to help advise you as to the best next steps.
Barbiturate detox and withdrawal symptoms
Without proper medical intervention and an individualized plan, barbiturate detox can be unpleasant and potentially fatal.
Common barbiturate detox and withdrawal symptoms may include:
- Thoughts of suicide
- Increased blood pressure and heart rate
- Severe agitation
We can help overcome uncomfortable withdrawal symptoms through effective, safe, and comfortable medical detox provided by addiction experts. Our patients are rarely uncomfortable because we provide an individualized plan for each patient and their needs.
Different types of barbiturate detox centers
There are various types of detox. Not all detox options are the same, either. Many medical detox centers use outdated protocols and oral medications within the confines of psychiatric facilities, leaving patients feeling dehumanized while they stay in a sterile and cold environment.
The Gallus Method of Barbiturate Detox
Gallus Medical Detox provides the comfort of a residential facility, but with clinical expertise that is far superior to most detox facilities. We offer safe, effective, and personalized treatment. We are so proud of our proprietary method that we named it The Gallus Method.
The key features of Gallus Medical Detox include:
- Individual treatment plans
- Psychological, physical, and social assessments
- IV Therapy Program
- 24/7 medical supervision
- Cardiac telemetry and video technology
- Adjustments to treatment plans to suit our patients’ needs
- An individual recovery plan identifying resources and next steps toward a long-term recovery
We have addiction treatment centers in Arizona and Colorado, with more opening throughout the US this year.
Detox Options for Drugs & Alcohol
Gallus Medical Detox offers the following detox services at all of our centers:
- Barbiturate detox treatment
- Opiate detox treatment
- Alcohol detox treatment
- Polysubstance detox treatment
- Benzodiazepine detox treatment
- Stimulant detox treatment
- High-dose methadone detox treatment
- Other drug detox treatment (THC, bath salts, kratom)
What our patients say about Gallus Medical Detox
Our patients are the best judge of the quality of our care. Here is what they have to say:
- “I was hopelessly dependent on opiates for day-to-day living and would have never believed I would become comfortably sober ever again. I simply did not believe it, even as I was reassured by staff that it would happen, until they made it happen. I’ll never forget the people that I met here and the treatment that I received.”
- “I’ll be forever in your debt. I want to thank you so much. The people at work were the most caring — they’re concerned about your individual treatment plans and I couldn’t ask for anything better than that. You guys literally saved my life. Thank you so much.”
- “I cannot express in words my deep appreciation for the kindness and very individualized care delivered by motivated and professional caregivers.”
Call Gallus Medical Detox Centers today and see how we can help you or your loved one take the best first step toward recovery: 866-358-6446.
Get a free initial assessment
Alternatively, you may call 866-358-6446 and speak to an admissions customer care specialist.