Alcohol poisoning is a serious condition that can be fatal if left untreated. In fact, according to findings by the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, there are more than 60,000 reports of alcohol poisoning in the U.S. each year, with at least one fatality each week from lack of emergency care.
Even Just Once Can Kill You
Alcohol poisoning is the result of consuming too much alcohol too quickly. Even if it happened just one time, such as in binge drinking, it can kill you. Too often we hear of a young person dying after consuming too much alcohol at a college party, high school event or slumber party. Most of the time, the person drank until they passed out, however while they were sleeping they either vomited and asphyxiated or loss consciousness and never woke up. Drinking large amounts of alcohol in a short period of time can have a detrimental impact on heart rate, breathing, and body temperature. Many deaths associated with alcohol poisoning occur when an individual loses consciousness, vomit and then choke to death or die of asphyxiation.
Binge Drinking and Alcohol Poisoning
Research indicates that nearly 150 million people (half the U.S. population) reported to have engaged in binge drinking at least once in their life. Binge drinking is consuming more than five drinks in a row in a single night. Saturating your body with this much alcohol in a single occasion puts the individual at risk for alcohol poisoning.
Symptoms of Alcohol Poisoning
The signs of alcohol poisoning include:
- Slowed and irregular breathing
- Low body temperature
- Bluish or pale skin
- Loss of consciousness
Alcohol poisoning is serious and requires emergency attention. If you suspect that someone has alcohol poisoning, you should call 911 immediately. Do not think let the person “sleep it off” and do not leave an unconscious person alone. If the individual is vomiting, keep them in a sitting or upright position. If they are lying down, turn their head to the side to prevent them from choking on their vomit. If possible try to keep them conscious until medical attention arrives. In the event of an emergency, you will need to tell the medical professional how much the individual has had to drink and why type of alcohol. The information may save their life. Alcohol poisoning is dangerous and can result in death. If you or someone you know is struggling with alcohol abuse such as binge drinking and are in need of help, Gallus Detox Center is here. Call 888.228.9114.