Medical Detox Centers Near Me
Opening a Google search bar and searching for “medical detox center near me” may return a whole host of pages, that are difficult to decipher. How do you choose between care options available and the appropriate medical detox program for you? Do you need medical detox? And do you even know what is involved with medical detox?
We hope this page helps you to make a decision about finding the right medical detox center for you and choosing the best, first step toward your recovery.
What is medical detox?
Medical detox is an intervention used to help people that have been using substances (alcohol and/or other drugs) persistently and have struggled to stop alone. They may experience withdrawal symptoms if they suddenly stop and this can present a number of potentially dangerous side effects.
Medical detox is typically an inpatient addiction treatment that can relieve the withdrawal symptoms associated with ceasing use of substances. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration define detox as follows:
“Detoxification is a set of interventions aimed at managing acute intoxication and withdrawal. Supervised detoxification may prevent potentially life-threatening complications that might appear if the patient were left untreated. At the same time, detoxification is a form of palliative care (reducing the intensity of a disorder) for those who want to become abstinent or who must observe mandatory abstinence as a result of hospitalization or legal involvement. Finally, for some patients it represents a point of first contact with the treatment system and the first step to recovery.”
Dr Gallus believes that it is a critical part of the recovery process.
For more information about medical detox, read our blog What Is Medical Detox?
How to pick a medical detox center
There are a number of factors to consider when choosing the right medical detox center. This decision is further complicated by the pandemic, where you have to consider a number of other factors — like infectious disease protocols — to ensure that you are safely taken care of during your stay.
Here are our top tips to pick safe medical detox:
- Consult a medical professional. When making decisions about your health it’s important to get input from a medical professional who can help you to make the best decision based on your individual health needs.
- Consider safety first. Does the facility have an infectious disease protocol? If so, what is it? And what will they do if there is an outbreak? Do they have personal protective equipment? Another factor to consider: Is this a small or large facility? Smaller facilities will be able to keep the risk of COVID-19 transmission lower because there will be less patients and volume of medical providers.
- Private bedrooms. Will you have your own private room? It’s critical that you have a private room that is not shared with other people. There is too much uncertainty in a shared room when you may be unaware of their medical history.
- Medical expertise. It’s important when choosing a detox facility that you consider the level of expertise and supervision available at the facility. Given the seriousness of medical detox, and risk of complications, it’s critical to know that you’re in safe hands. Look for emergency care as well as addiction experience in the medical team. Ideally they should have ER or ICU experience as well as training in infectious disease management. It’s also worth noting if the staff are employed full-time. Part-time and contract staff increase the risk of transmission as they may be working at more than one medical detox center.
- Medical program. Not all detox facilities are created equal. Some offer oral medication and others IV Therapy which can be tailored to the patients needs. What’s important is that the medical detox program offers evidence-based medicine that has been proven to make patients comfortable, ease withdrawal symptoms, reduces the risk of complications, and promotes and individualized plan for recovery next steps. Patients and their families should also choose facilities that offer 24-hour medical monitoring and supervision and can make adjustments to the patients program without having to wait to see the doctor the next day.
- Comfort of facility. Many facilities differ in terms of amenities and personal allowances. For example, some may require patients to relinquish mobile phones and laptops and others may not. As well as a private room, it’s worth considering what other amenities are available, such as outside areas, food and drink available, private storage, TV and other electronics, and comfort of bedrooms. Is the facility ADA compliant?
- Insurance. Does the facility take all major insurance? Are there private financing options available?
- Patient satisfaction results. Are there patient reviews and satisfaction survey results available? One of the best ways to know how good a facility is, is by the medical detox center’s patient satisfaction. Ask the admissions team for a copy.
Gallus Medical Detox Centers
Gallus Medical Detox Centers have already considered all of these factors. We offer:
- Individual treatment plans
- Psychological, physical, and social assessments
- IV Therapy Program
- 24/7 medical supervision from full-time medical staff with extensive critical care and addiction expertise
- Cardiac telemetry and video technology
- Adjustments to treatment plans to suit our patients needs
- An individual recovery plan identifying resources and next steps toward a long-term recovery
Our personalized treatment is delivered in a safe and peaceful environment that promotes optimum comfort and ease, with private rooms that include queen bed, free secure WiFi, the use of personal electronics, and a 40” TV in every room.
Gallus Medical Detox provides the comfort of a residential facility, but with the clinical expertise that is far superior to most medical detox facilities. Our board-certified physicians have extensive critical care and substance use expertise, as well as unique knowledge of how drugs move throughout the body (pharmacokinetics), and expertise in managing other health conditions.
Our patient satisfaction results speak for themselves (below). You can also read more testimonials here.
Helpful information to find a medical detox center
There are a range of websites and treatment finders available online. However, many are ordered by paid advertising by the facility. You can locate treatment facilities via SAMHSA’s treatment finder tool.
For more information and resources about substance use disorder, visit our resources section.
We understand that the detoxification process can be confusing, frightening, and overwhelming, especially when you are away from your loved ones. Dr. Gallus knows that you could and should receive medical detox services that emphasize your medical safety by providing outstanding professional expertise and efficiency without sacrificing any aspect of your personal dignity or comfort.
At Gallus Medical Detox, we believe there is dignity in healing. There’s no better time to seek help for you or your loved ones addiction. Call us today and take the best, first step towards recovery: 720-704-1432
Alternatively, you may call 866-358-6446 and speak to an admissions customer care specialist.