People take many well-known prescription drugs on a daily basis. However, tramadol is not a prescription that comes to mind very often. Lack of knowledge about this drug makes tramadol addiction very troublesome. For those struggling to quit, a tramadol detox program can help.
What Is Tramadol?
Tramadol is a prescription pain reliever that doctors use to treat mild to chronic pain. The most common brand name for it is Ultram. People take this medication orally, and the onset of its effects typically start within one hour. While tramadol isn’t as common as other pain relief medications, its popularity is growing. One reason for this growth is that it’s a low-impact opioid. Theoretically, tramadol is less addictive than other prescription pain medications.
Is Tramadol Still Addictive?
Yes, this drug is still highly addictive. It’s just not as addictive as pain medications such as oxycodone and codeine. About 20% of its pain-relieving effects come from opioids. The remaining 80% come from norepinephrine and serotonin. Unfortunately, the lower level of opioids also makes tramadol dangerous. Some people who take it suggest that the pain-reducing effects aren’t strong enough. As a result, they take more than their doctors recommend. Abusing the drug in this way is what leads to tramadol addiction.
What People Need to Know About Tramadol Addiction
Just because tramadol contains a low dose of opioids doesn’t mean that the drug isn’t dangerous. In fact, several side effects can occur when people abuse the drug. Some of the most common include:
- Suicidal thoughts
- Slowed breathing
- Extreme swelling
- Life-threatening allergic reactions
Tramadol is a drug that people can’t stop taking cold turkey after taking it for an extended period. They must wean themselves off, especially if they develop a tramadol addiction. However, they can’t just do it themselves. They need to seek professional help at a detox center.
Who’s More at Risk of Developing an Addiction?
Anyone who uses tramadol puts himself or herself at risk. However, certain people are more at risk than others. For example, people who have a history of abusing drugs are more likely to abuse tramadol. Also, those who have a history of family members who abuse drugs are at a higher risk. Likewise, researchers have found that certain genetics are factors in the development of addiction. In fact, a large group of genes can contribute to the development of addiction in those who abuse drugs. For this reason, they’re more likely to struggle with the disease. Lastly, people who have a history of mental illness are more likely to abuse all drugs. Addiction is a mental disorder. After the brain develops one disorder, it’s easier for it to develop another. Those who already have one mental health problem need to talk to their doctors before they take tramadol.
Start Your Treatment the Right Way With Gallus Detox
Do you or a loved one suffer from tramadol addiction? If so, it’s important that you seek drug treatment right away. Before you consider rehab, it’s important to enroll in a detox program. Only professional detox can prepare you for rehab and keep you safe while you quit using. At Gallus Detox, we focus on providing quality addiction detox services. We offer customizable treatments that focus on your needs. Some programs and features that make our facility one of the best includes:
- Methadone detox treatment
- Inpatient drug detox
- IV detoxification
- IV therapy
- Minute-by-minute treatment customization
Don’t let tramadol addiction cause you or a family member harm. Start treatment the right way. Call Gallus Detox today at 888-228-9114 for more information about how we can help.